Friday, June 19, 2009

Music of the Future

Classical, jazz, rock ‘n roll, disco, heavy metal, glam rock, grunge, hip hop, rap, where will the crazy roller coaster of popular music take us next? What will be the dominant genre ten, twenty-five, fifty years from now? Will it be something we know? Or some thing never heard of? Hopefully popular music will not continue on its current path, or I will have a non-stop headache for the next fifty years until the quote unquote “music” that is hip hop and rap (pardon me if I throw up) is gone forever.

Although I do not care for today’s popular music I am looking forward to seeing music evolve into something new. Who would have thought, back in the days of Mozart and Bach when music, for the most part, was completely instrumental (with a couple operas thrown in), that a couple hundred years in the future popular music would be almost entirely voice based.

To go back to my original question, where will popular music go next in my personal opinion popular music seams to travel in a cycle, loud music to quiet music lyric based to instrument based, so for me I think that future music will, over the next fifty years, become more and more instrument based to offset today’s nonsense. Now I’m not saying we will see the entire top ten of the music charts filled with classical music, but rather near, or fully instrumental music played with today’s instruments like the guitar, drums, and bass. But let’s not forget that along with music, instruments evolve to. So fifty years from now I will be in the music store complaining that this new instrument is too whiny for my taste.



Again these are just my opinions, but what I would like to hear is your opinions. What will popular music sound like? What genre will it be? What type of music will live on? What other music will die off (lets hope rap)?

1 comment:

rock4ever95 said...

I disagree. I think that we have tasted the ''Forbidden fruit'' of voacals and lyrics there is no going back. If what you say is true then we would start to see the music start taking precidence of the lyrics, but that is not the case. In fact, in the past few years during the rise of hip-hop and rap we have seen the music take a back-burner to the lyrics. Rap has no real music to speak of and it is very popular. I think we will see a more diverse offering of music in the future. With the rise of teh mp3 format and teh fall of cds anyone and everyone who wants to can put out a song or album. If I start a band with my friends, I'll start a website and put out my music on the web. So rap will stick around and Rock will come back. Everything will be balanced.