Thursday, February 10, 2011

My John Green Problem

So I went to a Wrock concert last night(Wizard Rock for those of you who are not hip to the extraordinarily geeky culture) and a great deal of the attendees and at least one of the performers are "Nerdfighters" which is an organization started by Young Adult author John Green.

Now I am not part of this organization because, as I like to say tong-in-cheek, I do not want to be part of a John Green cult of personality. Intended humor aside, as I have written about on this blog before, I have a bit of a problem with Mr. Green.

But, on the face of it, I should love John Green. I like his genre of writing, I like his music, and if he recommends a book chances are I will like it too. I share his politics, he is a straight guy who is very pro gay rights, I am a straight guy who is very pro gay rights. He likes to put humor in his books I like to read humor in books. He likes to have romantic themes in his books and I like to read romantic themes in books. So, basically, I should love him. I also am a fan of Nick Hornby who writes very much like John Green and Mr. Green seems like a nice enough guy. So, again, I should love him, logically speaking.

But, I do not. I don't hate him but I don't particularly like him. I find him to basically write the same character over and over and I also find him to be unnecessarily crass. To be fair, I have laughed out loud at some of his jokes("Pretty god**** well adjusted from Paper Towns for example) I have never been blown away by his stuff. I am considering trying him again, but I just don't really like him. And I am utterly and completely astound by the fact that so many people like him. I honestly don't see why he is so popular. Is it because he puts himself out there so much? Is it that his books are really accessible? Is it that he really is good and I am just crazy? I don't know but I find it really odd.

1 comment:

elfarmy17 said...

I find it difficult to believe that you like John Green's music...because he doesn't write music. That's his brother, Hank. :)

He's popular not because of his books, but because of his videos. People like him as he portrays himself on YouTube, which makes his name be associated with a lot of positive hype, which most people connect to his books. Then again, a lot of people genuinely really love the books for what they are.
I know Looking for Alaska in particular has had a huge impact on a lot of people. Personally, Paper Towns resonates with me more.