Sunday, July 5, 2009

Attention America, I'm about to be very unpatriotic

Like many other people I went to see fireworks with my family on the 4th, and I realised something....Fireworks are a big waste of money!! We spent approximately $193 Million to import fireworks from China. For what? Some pretty lights in the sky? Famvin reported that 9.1 million people died of hunger last year. Bread for the World reports that a child dies of hunger every five seconds. And we are spending $193 million on fireworks.

I like fireworks as much as anyone, but what purpose do they serve? They are pretty, but didn't China prove last year during the Olympics that CGI can work just as well? Let me hit you with some more statistics, God I love the Internet. The
National Institute of Health reports that 1500 people die of cancer everyday in the US alone. America is ranked worst in preventable deaths, with 100.7 in 100,000 people died last year, according to commonsense. To make a long story short, people are dying and we are spending millions to set off pretty lights! People are dying, and no one seems to care!!

Alright I'm getting carried away, but come on! When you look at the figures it is hard to argue that it is worth it. But if you do think that it is worth it, then please tell me. Comment and tell me why you think that way. I will accept your opinion even though I might disagree with you. All I ask you to do is think about it, nothing more.

As-Salamu Alaykum




1 comment:

Judith said...

I know people like a celebration, but I think cities should get corporate or individual contributions to pay for these displays...not use dwindling tax payer resources!