Monday, December 27, 2010

Book Review Will Grayson WIll Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

Will Grayson Will Grayson is written by two of YA literature's biggest superstars, John Green(Author of Paper Towns and Looking For Alaska) and David Levithan(Author of Boy Meets Boy and Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist). The book is written in alternating chapters each narrated by a young man named Will Grayson.

John Green's Will Grayson is straight and having boy troubles. David Levithian's Will Grayson is gay and having girl troubles. Don't ask why either of those make sense.

About halfway through the book the two Will Grayson's meet up with each other.


Now, as I said, this book is written by two hugely popular authors. John Green is renowned in the literary world for his YA novels and how good they are. David Levithian is less well known as an author but is an Editor for scholastic(he edited the Hunger Games Trilogy which proves that at least he has good taste). So, with two authors of such high stature writing it, how could this book possibly go wrong?

The answer to that question is two words long: John Green. Going into this book I had one problem with John Green, I felt that he had appointed himself the savior of YA Literature and saw it as his duty to push the envelope. Coming out of this book I have another problem with him, all his characters are the same. Seriously, Will Grayson is almost exactly the same as the main character from Paper Towns. I am not saying that Mr. Green cannot write, but he is, in my humble opinion, far inferior to David Levithan.

David Levithan is one of my favorite writers and he has actually saved YA Literature(namely by editing the Hunger Games). He writes his half very well but the book, aside from being unbalanced, is basically pointless. There is no reason for the characters to meet(though it was handled well) as it doesn't really do much for the plot. Really, nothing happens in this book. And Don't even get me started on the ending.

In the interest of fairness I will say that John Green handles romance well and he put in some funny scenes involving the school play(a subplot which I thoroughly enjoyed). He also put in some cool band references as he has done in at least one of his previous works(Billy Bragg was referenced in Paper Towns). But, as I said, his main character is the same as his Paper Towns main character.

This Year David Levithan has another collaboration coming out called Dash and Lilly's Book Of Dares which is far far far superior.

Three and a Half stars out of Five

One final note, many months back I posted some lyrics on this blog that I had co-written(called If Lightning Strikes) and Elfarmy commented saying that it reminded her of a scene in this book. I read the scene and she was right. So props to her for noticing.

1 comment:

elfarmy17 said...

Now I don't remember what the scene was, but cool.

I believe this calls for a counter-post...because I've known this was coming, and have some good arguments that have been stewing around in my brain for awhile yet.